November 19, 2018 | Monona Terrace
MEDIA CENTER FOR WOMEN'S ENTREPRENEURSHIP DAY WISCONSIN
WEDWisconsin’s mission is to empower, celebrate, inspire and support women in business and technology. We are committed to gathering a think tank of inspiring women leaders who can amplify our message of expanding businesses with social-good initiatives in communities in Wisconsin and around the world.
To request access to cover WEDWisconsin sessions by members of the news media, send an email with "Media Access Request" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
- name(s) of staff member(s)
- name of media organization
- full contact information.
Keynote Speaker Announced for WEDWisconsin 2018
Dated Aug 7, 2018
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker proclaims November 14 through November 19th Women's Entrepreneurship Week throughout the state of Wisconsin
- Madison Wisconsin Mayor Paul Soglin has officially proclaimed November 19th Women's Entrepreneurship Day in Madison Wisconsin
- "It's Not All Roses" - Head of one of the largest woman owned businesses in Wisconsin to share decades of insights as a keynote at the inaugural event for women entrepreneurs in Wisconsin
Dated November 1, 2017
- Speakers and Their Real-life Stories at Women's Entrepreneurship Day Wisconsin
October 24, 2017
- Summit Credit Union Announced as Presenting Sponsor for Women’s Entrepreneurship Day Wisconsin Conference
Dated Sept 6, 2017
- Economic Empowerment of Women to be Focus in Wisconsin on November 14, 2017
Dated Aug 16, 2017
QUOTES AND FACTS
- Women in the U.S. are now starting businesses at twice the rate of men.
- Women are now the majority owners of 38% of the country’s businesses, up from 29% in 2007. These firms employ 8% of the nation’s private sector workforce – up from 6% nine years ago – and contribute 4% of the nation’s business revenues, a share that has not changed over the past 20 years.
- Nearly 8 out of every 10 (79%) net new women-owned firms launched since 2007 have been started by a woman of color.
*Source for all: American Express Open State of Women Owned Businesses Executive Report
- In the last 15 years, women-owned firms have grown by one and a half times the rate of other small enterprises.
- 90% of women-owned businesses have no other employees other than the business owner.
- Women-owned firms account for almost 30% of all businesses.
- 1 in 5 firms with revenue of $1 million or more is owned by a woman.
- 2% of women-owned firms have 10 or more employees.
- Of more than 20,000 venture-backed companies in the U.S. between 1997 and 2011, only 6.5% have a female CEO.
*Source for all: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Center for Women in Business
- The SBA broke some really significant records last year with small loans under the SBA’s Community Advantage loan program getting more capital for those who need it the most. Women’s lending was up 19%, and minority lending was up 26.5%.
- There are organizations like Fundera who work with small businesses to help them grow. According to Fundera, the number one problem small businesses face is access to capital. 4 out 5 business owners are denied for bank loans while countless others get fleeced by loan brokers.
2017 attendee survey results
- 50% of respondents are more likely to seek funding or learn more about an SBA loan as a result of the conference
- 93% said the resource booths were helpful
- 96% of attendees reported feeling more confident as a result of WEDWisconsin
- 98% will recommend WEDWisconsin to a friend
- 100% were glad they took this day for themselves
- 100% of attendees reported they will come back next year
President of The Creative Company and Wisconsin's Ambassador for Women's Entrepreneurship Day
Laura Gallagher is a community, local and national business leader serving successful entrepreneurial companies and nonprofit organizations primarily in Wisconsin. In 2016, she was recognized by the Governor as a Trailblazer in Wisconsin. She is the founder and CEO of The Creative Company and is a 2017 alumnus of Babson College’s 10,000 Businesses Program with a Certificate of Entrepreneurship and a 2016 graduate of Harvard Professor Michael Porter’s Initiative for a Competitive Inner City.
The Creative Company is certified by the State of Wisconsin as a Woman-Owned Business Enterprise.
Phone: (608) 442-6336