Media Center: Women’s Entrepreneurship Day Wisconsin
WEDWisconsin’s mission is to empower, celebrate, inspire and support women in business and technology. We are committed to gathering a think tank of inspiring women leaders who can amplify our message of expanding businesses with social-good initiatives in communities in Wisconsin and around the world.
To request access to cover WEDWisconsin sessions by members of the news media, send an email with “Media Access Request” in the subject line to email@example.com. Please include:
- name(s) of staff member(s)
- name of media organization
- full contact information.
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker proclaims November 14 through November 19th Women’s Entrepreneurship Week throughout the state of Wisconsin
- Madison Wisconsin Mayor Paul Soglin has officially proclaimed November 19th Women’s Entrepreneurship Day in Madison Wisconsin
- “It’s Not All Roses” – Head of one of the largest woman owned businesses in Wisconsin to share decades of insights as a keynote at the inaugural event for women entrepreneurs in Wisconsin
Dated November 1, 2017
- Speakers and Their Real-life Stories at Women’s Entrepreneurship Day Wisconsin
October 24, 2017
- Summit Credit Union Announced as Presenting Sponsor for Women’s Entrepreneurship Day Wisconsin Conference
Dated Sept 6, 2017
- Economic Empowerment of Women to be Focus in Wisconsin on November 14, 2017
Dated Aug 16, 2017
Helpful details for WEDWisconsin!November 13, 2017
What happens next in the story of your life?November 6, 2017
“It’s not all roses” – Head of One of the Largest Woman Owned Businesses in the State to Share Decades of Insight as Keynote at Inaugural Event for Women Entrepreneurs in WisconsinNovember 1, 2017
Could It Be Better? Why Having an Entrepreneurial Mindset Changes EverythingOctober 28, 2017
Laura Gallagher is a community, local and national business leader serving successful entrepreneurial companies and nonprofit organizations primarily in Wisconsin. In 2016, she was recognized by the Governor as a Trailblazer in Wisconsin. She is the founder and CEO of The Creative Company and is a 2017 alumnus of Babson College’s 10,000 Businesses Program with a Certificate of Entrepreneurship and a 2016 graduate of Harvard Professor Michael Porter’s Initiative for a Competitive Inner City.
The Creative Company is certified by the State of Wisconsin as a Woman-Owned Business Enterprise.
Phone: (608) 442-6336
Quotes and Facts
- Women in the U.S. are now starting businesses at twice the rate of men.
- Women are now the majority owners of 38% of the country’s businesses, up from 29% in 2007. These firms employ 8% of the nation’s private sector workforce – up from 6% nine years ago – and contribute 4% of the nation’s business revenues, a share that has not changed over the past 20 years.
- Nearly eight out of every 10 (79%) net new women-owned firms launched since 2007 has been started by a woman of color.
- In the last 15 years, women-owned firms have grown by one and a half times the rate of other small enterprises.
- 90% woman-owned businesses have no other employees other than the business owner.
- Women-owned firms account for almost 30 percent of all businesses.
- One in five firms with revenue of $1 million or more is owned by a woman.
- 2% of women-owned firms have 10 or more employees.
- Of more than 20,000 venture-backed companies in the U.S. between 1997 and 2011, only 6.5% have a female CEO.
*Source for all: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Center for Women in Business
- The SBA broke some really significant records last year with small loans under the SBA’s Community Advantage loan program getting more capital for those who need it the most. Women’s lending was up 19 percent, and minority lending was up 26.5 percent.
- There are organizations like Fundera who work with small businesses to help them grow. According to Fundera, the number one problem small businesses face is access to capital. 4 out 5 business owners are denied for bank loans while countless others get fleeced by loan brokers.
Check back soon!
2017 Sponsor Logos
“IF YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL, IT IS BECAUSE SOMEWHERE, SOMETIME, SOMEONE GAVE YOU A LIFE OR AN IDEA THAT STARTED YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. ” MELINDA GATES